[Mailman-Users] User's message discarded by SpamDetect

Jim Dory james at dorydesign.com
Thu Mar 1 14:41:55 EST 2018

Our local campus from Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks has set up an (I believe)
alias email account on the alaska.edu domain. Their system uses gmail.com'
business account to handle email. When the user tries to send to our list,
it gets blocked with no bounce. From the
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs/vette file:

Mar 01 17:34:48 2018 (11087) Message discarded, msgid: <
CACxqi6wTfXca-AAjNp5MUsCb4wKLfJwGgkb4K2t+hxi6_8LWog at mail.gmail.com>'
       list: Nome-announce,
       handler: SpamDetect

I have various filters in the mailman administrative interface, but when
those are tripped I think I usually get a bounce of "autodiscard" and the
message that is discarded. I'm not seeing it in this case, so think it may
be prior to those filters.

In the WHM interface, under Exim config for spamassassin, I had the
threshold set at "3", and just changed it to "5", but no luck on letting
her send a message.

One curious thing about her email account was the bounce after the monthly
email reminder:

Final-Recipient: rfc822; nwc.<snip>@alaska.edu <nwc.info at alaska.edu>
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; Bounce messages should not be posted to a
mailinglist.
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:01:37 -0800 (PST)

She can post the message via her personal gmail account.

So this may be an issue with gmail, or their setup with the alias, but
curious if you would know how to fix it? I could post the message, but it
is just boiler plate stuff mentioning upcoming classes/events.

She occasionally has success posting to the list under this alias, but has
experienced similar problems on other messages. We can email back and forth
using the alias.

thx, Jim