[Mailman-Users] Switching a list to port 443

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Wed Mar 7 11:29:57 EST 2018

On Tue, 2018-03-06 at 19:25 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Or you could just run the script at
> <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/https.py> under withlist for those
> lists you want to change.

Mark, there appears to be a bit of an issue with this script.  I've
changed the DEFAULT_URL_HOST to "www.fmp.com", and have recently added
add_virtualhost() call for this hostname as well, but after running
this script on several lists it seems that in some circumstances the
URL host is changed to a value of DEFAULT_URL_HOST which was in effect
when the list was created. Using fix_url has no such problems and seems
to fix everything.

I'm not entirely clear on this, and could tinker with it some more
(such as hacking the script to convert back to http) but I've resorted
to just editing mm_cfg.py and using fix_url which seems to do the right
thing.

Example ...

$ withlist -l -r https foo_members
Importing https...
Running https.https()...
list: Foo_members: changed web_page_url to https://linode.fmp.com/mailman/
Finalizing

linode.fmp.com _was_ the DEFAULT_URL_HOST when the list was set up (but
not when 'withlist -r https ..' was run), but the list was explicitly
set up with newlist using a URL with "fmp.com" or "www.fmp.com" and
worked well. My wife admins the list and has had no problems. I would
_certainly_ have heard about it if she'd had to do a double login,
which would have been the case had "linode.fmp.com" been part of the
web_page_url when she worked on it.

Sorry I can't put more arms and legs on this problem. This is a
production server so the _real_ lists have to be converted quickly and
cleanly. I'll set up some test lists using my sandbox domain name and
see if I can pin the issue down. I didn't have add_virtualhost() method
calls for "fmp.com" and "www.fmp.com" _when the list was created_, so
the web_page_url may have been overwritten with the DEFAULT_URL_HOST in
effect at that time.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Real programmers use butterflies"
FMP Computer Services |