[Mailman-Users] HELP! Just broke Mailman with a bogus list.

Thu Mar 8 09:22:36 EST 2018

Mark Sapiro recently wrote...

> I would be interested in knowing what's wrong and how it
> happened. Unfortunately, this issue probably prevents even
> running withlist on this list. I.e., Mailman's 'bin/withlist
> LISTNAME' will probably throw the same error.

It does.  I did try compiling the original configuration file I
used to create the list and there were no syntax errors.  But
then I would expect a config file with syntax errors not to be
accepted when creating a new list.

> To "fix" the problem just move the lists/LISTNAME directory
> containing the config.pck and perhaps a few other files out of
> the lists/ directory.

That worked and was my first instinct, but I didn't know if that
might cause other issues -- having a list directory that Mailman
was 'expecting' to suddenly be gone.  In any case, moving the
list's own subdirectory out of `~mailman/lists` directory got the
`list_lists` command line and `mailman/listinfo` web page working
again.

So the good news is that it was definitely this new list that
threw a spanner into the machinery, and not some other mysterious
event.

Thanks for the fix.  The files you requested are on the way.

--
                                   Cordially,