[Mailman-Users] Newbie User

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 27 12:12:25 EDT 2018

On 03/26/2018 01:51 AM, David Elliott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to Mailman and cpanel and I need some help, please. I have
> set up a mailing list for my tennis club (about 300 on list) and it
> seems to work ok BUT each recipient only sees the mailing list name
> rather than his own email name in the 'to' box.

If you want this, you have to set the list's Non-digest options ->
personalize setting to Full Personalization. If you do not see the
'personalize' settings on the admin Non-digest options page, you need to set

OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION = Yes

in mm_cfg.py, but if this is a hosted cPanel installation, you probably
can't do that.

> One of the recipients
> recently did a 'reply to all' and consequently sent his reply to the
> whole mailing list. I'm sure there must be a way to prevent this but I
> can't find it!

No, there is not. Even if you enable Full Personalization, the list
posting address will be put in Cc: to facilitate replying to the list so
Reply-all will always include the list.

If this is an "announce" type list where members shouldn't post to the
list, see <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030685> for how to set that up, but
if it is a list where members are allowed to post, you can't prevent
reply-all going to the list unless you moderate all posts and don't
accept those you don't want on the list.