[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-cabal] GDPR

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sat May 12 10:07:38 EDT 2018

Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> On 05/11/2018 04:55 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> I think the basic inconvenient truth is nobody's going to come after you
> unless you have money to pay the settlement.

Not `Nobody' but `Very few' & then a major pain best pre-deterred.

Most volunteer unpaid admins not working for employers, have no employer
protection, but will still have personal savings they wouldnt want at risk.

The attention to GDPR in an increasingly litigous world will encourage
more complainers & more ambulance chasing lawyers looking for jobs.

There's also the occasional looney that's really malicious:
   (eg back running majordomo, I saw a few swine report a whole
   domain as a spammer, as they were too lazy to learn to unsubscribe
   themselves, they also emitted all sorts of time wasting annoying
   threats, best warn people before they start )

A generic in distribution + site supplemental link to an empty dummy
would be well worth the few hours it would take to write.
We could start drafting our own under various
	http://mailman.YOUR-DOMAIN/mailman/listinfo#legal
& share URLs & ides here, then someone could merge for distribution ?

> I expect the impact on
> "smaller lists run by Unpaid Volunteers" to be about on par with that of
> the right to be forgotten. How many people here had to delete messages
> and rebuild the archives because of it?

Not me yet, I want to deter users from wasting admin time requesting anything.

> And besides, I've done that a few times cleaning up spam that got past
> the filters -- it's not *that* hard.

Good.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich
 Brexit Referendum stole 3,700,000 votes, inc. 700,000 from British in EU.