[Mailman-Users] OT - Smart .forward replacement?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 25 14:06:00 EST 2018

On 11/25/18 10:43 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> How does a .forward problem relate to Mailman? Please excuse my
> ignorance if this is obvious. I use Courier-MTA and the equivalent
> facility is the .courier file, which redirects email. In the case of
> Mailman mailing lists, I use the courier-to-mailman.py as a target in a
> .courier file to redirect _internally_ into Mailman. Otherwise external
> redirection in a .forward file (which is an ancient and venerable
> sendmail facility) can (probably will) cause problems if the
> redirection is from a "p=reject" domain to a service, such as Gmail,
> which honors this.

A .forward normally does not cause issues with DMARC because .forward
redirection normally does not transform the message in ways that break
DKIM signatures. Thus if the original message was DKIM signed by a
domain "aligned" with the From: domain, the forwarded message should
still pass DMARC. There is only an issue if the original sender was
relying on SPF only to pass DMARC.