[Mailman-Users] mm-handler or aliases to integrate with sendmail

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 29 11:31:27 EST 2018

On 11/29/18 1:00 AM, Jim Ziobro wrote:

> I need to test my understanding.  Is setting MTA to 'Postfix' supposed
> to cover the 'Sendmail' case with some changes or should there be a
> specific MTA file to cover Sendmail?

Mailman has a feature to create aliases and possibly virtual alias maps
for delivery to Postfix. This has only been implemented for Postfix.

It is quite possible to hijack this feature for use with sendmail and
people have done so and documented it. This requires setting

MTA = 'Postfix'

so that Mailman will generate and maintain its data/aliases file
containing the list aliases. This also tells Mailman to run the command
defined in the POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD setting to update the alias database
from the generated data/aliases file. For sendmail, one needs to make a
script to do the right thing for the sendmail aliases and set
POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD to run that script.

This is basically what's documented in steps 1 and 2 at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037518.html>.