[Mailman-Users] Microsoft blocking our Mailman lists

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sun Oct 7 16:13:49 EDT 2018

On Sun, 2018-10-07 at 14:25 -0400, John Levine wrote:
> In article <a4550bd1-b5bd-3877-58a3-3513683f10b3 at bluegrasspals.com> you write:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Unfortunately, yes, I have seen this behavior from Microsoft. I have no
> > idea what triggers it, but my Linode IP has been blocklisted twice, once
> > a bit over three years ago, and another time less than two weeks ago.
> It may well not be you.  Linode does a poor job of keeping their
> network clean of spammers and other miscreants.

I've had a _few_ spam spews here which came from Linode IPs, but very
few. Other IP blocks in Brazil, Poland, Italy, DigitalOcean, etc.
harbor many more.

> They always kick them
> off when you report it, but by then it's too late, so their whole
> network has an iffy reputation.

Be that as it may, the support folks at Linode are exceptional, and go
the extra mile for me on any problems or questions I may have, whether
it's their issues are someone else's.

> Linode's hosting is nothing special, either in features or price.  You
> might consider moving your system somewhere else that manages their
> network better.

I've got a lot of sweat equity into programming against their DNS API,
and have an IPv6 /56 subnet from them which provides v6 addresses to
our SOHO LAN. I have too much on my plate to make a major move,
including 80 or so domain names on their DNS.

The Linode support folks went to bat on this particular issue and filed
a delisting request with Microsoft on my address, or the /24 containing
it. I've done the same from my end.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."