[Mailman-Users] Recursion problem with "disabled" cron job.

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sun Oct 14 12:13:43 EDT 2018

Here's what happened. Among the lists my server hosts is one for a
local folk music mailing list. It's a large, "general announcements"
list, on a short fuse for bounces (bounce_score_threshold = 1.0). Last
weekend I noticed 49 disablement notices in my inbox, all of them from
Microsoft domain names - hotmail.com, msn.com, outlook.com, etc. It
seems that MS had blacklisted FMP's IP address, triggering bounces and
subsequent disablements.

I dealt with Microsoft and got the blacklisting removed, and we went
through the subscriber list on the web UI and re-enabled all the
disabled addresses.

This is when the recursive error started happening. It looks as if what
we did somehow got crosswise with Mailman's internal record keeping,
and something in MM's relational database setup is now corrupt.

So I can pretty definitively identify the list, based on your
discussion, and what happened here, which is causing the problem. The
question is, how can we fix it?

We know the addresses which were disabled. Would it suffice to delete
these addresses from the list and re-add them?? Is there some other way
to bring what appears to be effectively a non-normalized relational
database back in sync with itself?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."