[Mailman-Users] Setting up SSL Virtualhost for Mailman

Tue Sep 11 14:47:39 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 12:11 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 09/10/2018 09:04 AM, Sean Son wrote:
> >
> > I have to set up SSL for our mailman instance and I am stuck on how the
> SSL
> > Virtualhost for HTTPs should be set up. I know the FAQ on the list.org
> > website explains all of the steps for setting up HTTPS with mailman, but
> > do not see anything that explains how to set up the actual virtual host
> and
> > which options and directives should be in the virtual host.. Any and ALL
> > help is greatly appreciated!!
>

> If I understand correctly, this is a web server question, not a Mailman
> question.
>
> Please elaborate. Are you asking how to set up your web server? if so,
> what web server are you using (Apache, nginx, ??). Also, what are you
> trying to do. I.e. do you want to require https for Mailman or only
> allow it? Do you have an SSL certificate? If not, see
> <https://letsencrypt.org/>.
>
> --

Hey Mark

Thanks for the reply man. I want to require HTTPS for Mailman and all of
its lists. I already have an SSL cert . I am running Apache as the
webserver on RHEL 7.  I took a look at the FAQs on the Mailman site,
regarding setting up SSL. It mentions that a virtual host can be set up for
HTTP to redirect to HTTPS, and a virtualhost can be set up for the HTTPS
and mailman configured to only work on HTTPs.  It is the latter part,
setting up the VirtualHost for HTTPS and configuring mailman to work only
with HTTPs, which I am lost on. I did research online and I found this
posting:

https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=30938

But it does not seem that the OP ever got his issue resolved. He did not
post any updates.  So, to summarize, I need assistance on setting up the
VirtualHost for the HTTPS only access to Mailman

Thanks!