[Mailman-Users] gmail

Tue Sep 11 22:32:00 EDT 2018

On 9/11/18 10:04 AM, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> I've gotten buried by 80 bounce messages, thanks to gmail's new policy [that was,
> apparently, put into effect yesterday].  The bounces say:
>
> <.... at gmail.com>: host alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.129.26] said:
>     421-4.7.0 This message does not have authentication information or fails to
>     pass 421-4.7.0 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam,
>     the 421-4.7.0 message has been blocked. Please visit 421-4.7.0
>     https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
> 421- 4.7.0 information. 128-v6si11952705iti.109 - gsmtp (in reply to end of
> DATA command)
>
> I looked at their 'answer' and mostly found it to be unhelpful.  i certainly can't get
> any server anywhere to change their their system configuration, nor can I mess
> with mailman [all suggestions about python-esque tweaks to mailman presume
> that you have access to the server, which I don't].   Is there something I can do
> [just as a list owner] to deal with this mess?
>
>   /Bernie\_
>

>                  Bernie Cosell
One option they list is to establish SPF for your domain (assuming that
the list comes from a domain that you control). I found that a couple of
years ago I need to add SPF for my list to avoid getting lots of these
from GMail.

The one big downside of adding SPF, is that this cause problems if
anyone sets up a forward for list messages to another domain, as these
now will get rejected by any domain that checks SPF.

--
Richard Damon