[Mailman-Users] Disallow posting and alert members about replacement list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 18 13:22:17 EDT 2019

On 4/18/19 10:05 AM, Andy Cravens wrote:
> Using mailman 2.1.26.  I have a list that is going to be retired and I need to stop people from posting to the old list.  However, I don’t want to delete the list quite yet.  Also, I need to auto-reply to any attempted posters that the list is being replaced with a new list.  I have a plan but would like to see if I’m doing this the best way possible.
>
> 1) I’m going to put the list in emergency moderation mode so no more posts will go out.
>
> 2) Set Discard Held Messages to 1 day so the held messages don’t build up.
>
> 3) Configure the Auto-Responder (Auto-response text to send to mailing list posters.) telling them to use the new list.
>
> Does this sound reasonable?  Is this the best way to achieve this?

It will probably work, but I would do the following:

In Privacy options -> Sender filters set

default_member_moderation = Yes
member_moderation_action = Reject
member_moderation_notice = the text you want sent to the poster

and in Membership Management... -> Membership List -> Additional Member
Tasks set everyone moderated.