[Mailman-Users] Mailman eats this message. Why?

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Aug 1 10:43:49 EDT 2019

Christian,

Thanks for the analysis!

Brett,

Whenever possible, you should send the whole message, preferably as an
attachment, redacting only personally identifying information.  This
includes display names and comments attached to mail addresses as well
as the addresses themselves in From, To, Cc, and Bcc header fields as
well as their "Resent-*" versions, Received header fields (which
frequently contain addresses or personal domains), and the Message-ID
header field, which frequently contains an identifying domain, and of
course such information in the text.  The method of redaction should
be substitution of addresses and domains like "John Doe
<jdoe at example.com>" or other text as appropriate, and note any time
you remove characters other than the usual ASCII characters.  Of
course, it's up to you and the people potentially identified by the
message how much effort you want to put into it, this is the ideal
from our point of view in order to check for the kinds of issues
Christian describes.

Back to Christian, who writes:

 > Sending text/html emails is ok.
 > But using "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit" with UTF-8 content can get
 > it dumped if:
 > * there is any character not ASCII in the whole email
 > * there is any line with more than 1000 characters in the whole email

Nice catch!

 > Not sure, if that is your problem, as you redacted the contents.

Seems unlikely, because AFAIK Mailman doesn't check line length AFAIK,
and you'd get a UnicodeError on anything non-ASCII, which would show
up in the "error" log.  Also, I suppose the contents were the original
"please tell me what you think" message that presumably passed through
the list.  Still, an "ideally redacted" message would help to confirm.

Steve