[Mailman-Users] Acknowledging sender when moderated message is accepted

David Pane dpane at cmu.edu
Thu Aug 15 13:54:07 EDT 2019

I administer a mailman (version 2.1.15) server (CentOS 7) which contain
40-50 lists (including umbrella lists).  When a sender's email is held
for moderation, we would like to acknowledge the sender when that post
is "Accepted" by the moderator in a similar fashion as we do when the
moderator "Rejects" a message (default message with ability to
customize).  This will avoid the user wondering if the email was sent
out to the list.

The acknowledge option gets us part of the way, but I could not find a
way to acknowledge non-members who post to a list. It is common for a
non-member to send legitimate email to our lists (e.g. faculty member
sending to student lists).  I believe there will also be an issue with
receiving acknowledgements from one of the individual list member of an
umbrella list since they are not treated as an ordinary users thus they
cannot set the acknowledge option flag for that list.

I have tried using the setting "Receive your own posts to the list?" set
it to "Yes" and the server logs show an email is being sent, the email
provider's duplicate suppression renders the user not actually seeing
that email come into their inbox.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
David