[Mailman-Users] Debugging mass invitations using web page interface...

Mon Aug 26 18:28:10 EDT 2019

Way way back in August 2016, we had a problem with submitting too
many members via the web interface.  As a solution, the following
was suggested:

> You'd need a custom script to do the 'extra text'. I have added an
> invite_members script I use at
> <https://www.msapiro.net/scripts/invite_members> and
> <https://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/invite_members> This can send
> invitations including the 'extra text'.

We used this script with great success in Aug 2017 and 2018.  But
this year we've run into a problem.  When I submit the script it
appears to hang waiting for some kind of lock.  I can see this
when I eventually CTRL-C out.

     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/home/mladmin/Util/invite_members", line 236, in ?
         main()
       File "/home/mladmin/Util/invite_members", line 197, in main
         mlist = MailList.MailList(listname)
       File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 129, in
       __init__
         self.Lock()
       File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 162, in
       Lock
         self.__lock.lock(timeout)
       File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 312, in
       lock
         self.__sleep()
       File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 496, in
       __sleep
         time.sleep(interval)
     KeyboardInterrupt

In the past we've used the script from a non-priv'd account with
no problems.  When it failed this time, I tried running it as
'mailman' but it still hangs on the lock.  Any suggestions?
(BTW, the line numbers will be different from the original script
because of some debug print statements and additional comments
added.)

--
                                   Cordially,