[Mailman-Users] Delete list while leaving archives available?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 12 14:59:38 EST 2019

On 12/12/19 11:21 AM, Kevin Bowen wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there any way to delete a list (mailman 2.1.9) but leave its archives
> available? I know that rmlist by default doesn't delete list archives, but
> with the list no longer in existence, they're no longer viewable via the
> web interface. Is there perhaps a way to just disable a list without
> deleting it? It would need to be in a way which keeps the list's aliases
> out of the alias file, not just disable delivery.

As you seem to realize, if the archives are private, you need the list
for authentication.  If it is possible to make the archives public
before removing the list, then there should be no issue, but if there is
reason to keep them private, that isn't an option.

We've thought about an alternative CGI to 'private' that could
authenticate users some other way, but we've never implemented that.

As you also recognize, if you have automatic alias generation, there are
issues with removed aliases returning. This shouldn't happen with
ordinary list creation/deletion, but will occur if bin/genaliases is
run. Also with other MTA's like Exim or processes like
postfix_to_mailman.py, list delivery will occur unless you can change
the process to ignore delivery.

I think what I would do is leave the list in place, edit it's listinfo
page appropriately and patch the bounces, confirm, join, leave, owner,
post and request scripts in Mailman's scripts/ directory to treat the
list as non-existent. Also set the list subscribe_policy to Require
approval so people can't subscribe. and let the web UI remain so members
can change their passwords.