[Mailman-Users] Best way to slow down all the spam to my lists?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 13 23:02:55 EST 2019

On 12/13/19 7:23 PM, Chromatest J. Pantsmaker wrote:
> I think I'll look into this next.  It seems that the postgrey
> implementation that I followed from a previous email has stopped the spam,
> but it's also stopped all other mail also!  doh!

If postgrey is working as it should, it will initially respond to all
mail with a 4xx (retryable) status. The theory is spambots won't retry,
but legitimate MTAs will, usually after a delay of up to 15 minutes or
so, but some more than an hour.

As postgrey learns, it will remember triplets (sender, sending IP,
recipient) and not delay them and in addition will whitelist domains
that retry successfully more than a few times.

Thus, after time, the delayed mail will become less frequent.