[Mailman-Users] Automatic subscription based on e-mail subject

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 1 12:13:33 EST 2019

On 2/1/19 12:30 AM, R. Diez via Mailman-Users wrote:

> Other systems can do it. I understand that you do not want to implement
> it yourself in Mailman, but why oppose the idea?

Mailman 2.1 is basically on life support and will not implement
significant new features.

The HyperKitty archiver shipped with Mailman 3 supports a "pull" model
in which you can read and reply to threads via a web UI. I understand
this isn't what you are asking for, I.e., the ability to receive posts
by email but only in selected threads, but we are still thinking about
something like Systers' Dynamic Sublists for MM 3.

I understand that various "issue trackers", including those on Launchpad
and GitLab which we use for Mailman 2.1 and Mailman 3, do what you want,
and that is appropriate for an issue tracker, but in my view, a mailing
list serves a different purpose. If you want issue tracker behavior, use
an issue tracker.