[Mailman-Users] Automatic subscription based on e-mail subject

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Feb 2 13:37:11 EST 2019

On 2/1/19 6:49 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> Yes, Mailman has a feature call topics, but that is very different
> then what the OP is asking for.

Agreed.  (I thought I covered that in my last email.  Maybe I wasn't clear.)

> The Mailman 'Topic' operation basically provides the ability of the
> list owner to define topics based on Regex's on the subject (which is
> helped greatly if posters add the appropriate key words to subjects to
> allow them to be categorized).

I'm glad to know that Mailman's "Topic" feature (key word matching)
works on the subject.  I thought it was looking explicitly for the

Of course, that does rely on posters putting proper keywords in the
subject.  Which is less than reliable.

I have long wished that Mailman's "Topic" feature would also look for
keywords in the body in addition to the Subject and Keywords: header.

I feel like Mailman's "Topic" feature is under utilized.  :-/

> I suppose one option that might satisfy the OP would be the ability for
> the subscriber to add a custom regex as a filter. That way they could
> get it to filter on the replies they are looking for, and ignore the
> rest. The biggest issue is that regex's are somewhat archaic for the
> typical user, but it would only really affect people who try to use it.

Oy vey.  I would be afraid of how that would likely not scale.  I also
see security implications in that.  (Running subscriber specified RegEx
(code) on a server.)  I also feel like that would be mainly usable for
the single user that specified the RE.  Or are you proposing that the
user specified RE show up as available "Topics" that people can choose
to subscribe to?

I feel like this would be best implemented if the poster added a blob of
text to their subject and configured their client side MUA filters to
mark messages from the mailing list that don't have said blob in the
subject as read.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die