[Mailman-Users] How to kill zombie pending moderator requests?

Bill Cole mailmanu-20190215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Feb 16 14:37:00 EST 2019

On 16 Feb 2019, at 13:00, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> On 2/15/19 9:40 AM, Bill Cole wrote:
>> I recently migrated a set of Mailman lists from a standard 2.1.18
>> installation (on ancient RedHat) to a cPanel host (CentOS 7) running
>> Mailman 2.1.27. One glitch in that migration involves a pending
>> moderation issue, which ultimately does not need to be dealt with
>> because it was just spam to the list address from a non-member. Due
>> some flaw in my migration process (probably related to cPanel's list
>> name mangling) the daily pending request reminder script is sending
>> the
>> moderator a reminder of the issue, however the issue is not visible
>> in
>> the web UI.
>

> The notice is coming from the old install. See
> <https://wiki.list.org/x/8683538>.

I guess that I am not the first person to make this mistake.

I had actually considered that, but since the notices were going to the
list owner and I'm just the mail janitor^Wadmin and I could see them in
the log on the new system, I ruled that out without actually getting the
list owner trained on how to get headers out of Outlook... Of course,
the reason they were in the log was that they were being sent to
list-owner@<mailman host> and further obfuscating matters, the old host
was and still is the exterior gateway for mail inbound and outbound.

>> My first impulse is to just clobber the pending.pck file, but I am
>> not sure if that is safe. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> It's safe, but it won't help for two reasons. The reminder is not
> coming
> from the cPanel Mailman, and the relevant file is requests.pck
> (moderator requests), not pending.pck (pending confirmations).

Useful information! Thanks!

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org