[Mailman-Users] 'Warm up' an IP when moving a mailing list server to a new host?

David Gibbs david at midrange.com
Wed Jan 2 11:02:12 EST 2019

Folks:

This isn't specific to Mailman ... but is related to mailing list servers in general.

I've had my mailing lists on an in-house server for a long time (more than 15 years).  I'm currently able to deliver mail to Yahoo without any problems.

I've been trying to move the mailing list server to an Amazon VPS ... and, of course, this means that the IP that I'm sending from is changing.

Unfortunately, Yahoo has started deferring mail delivery because the new IP doesn't have a reputation (although it's not on any black lists that I'm aware of).

The Yahoo postmaster support people are telling me that I should 'warm up' the IP by sending some mail to Yahoo from the new IP and continue to send from the old IP.

Any suggestions on how that might be accomplished?

The only thing I can think of is to move a few of my lists over to the new, do some apache contortion to proxy requests for the moved lists to the new host, and other rsync stuff to keep my archives in sync.

Yahoo is a major PITA.

david

--
IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business!

I'm riding 615 miles (Yes, you read that right) in the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education, advocacy, and awareness.  You can make a tax-deductible donation to my ride by visiting https://gmane.diabetessucks.net.

You can see where my donations come from by visiting my interactive donation map ... https://gmane.diabetessucks.net/map (it's a geeky thing).

I may have diabetes, but diabetes doesn't have me!