[Mailman-Users] Restoring manually backed-up archives into cPanel installation?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 10:18:07 EST 2019

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 at 18:08, Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 08:20:21AM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> > On 1/14/19 4:02 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm trying to migrate a group of Mailman lists onto a new shared
> hosting provider. I do not have direct access to the original system; the
> sysadmin there has given me a full tarball of the mailman directory,
> including the archives/, data/, and lists/ subdirectories.
> >

> > Yes and No.
> >
> > There is some info at
> > <https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Mailman%20and%20CPanel>. The most important
> > thing is that the 'mailman' directory in cPanel is at
> > /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman.
> >
> > Importing archives is not a problem. Importing lists is an issue because
> > of cPanel's appending the domain to the internal listname, so you can't
> > just drop a mailman/lists/LISTNAME/config.pck into cPanel, even if yo
> > put it in
> > /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/LISTNAME_DOMAIN/config.pck,
> > because the internal name in the config.pck is wrong.
>
> Thank you (and to Brian Carpenter for his separate reply). I do not have
> access to the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty directory myself. However, the
> hosting provider has said that they can put the archives in the right
> location here; the hard thing is, as you say, getting the lists themselves
> in place. Rather than trying something that's probably impossible with the
> access I have, I'll just redo the lists manually and then get the archives
> set.
>
> I do hope this goes OK; I feel like it would have been relatively
> straightforward if I were using a dedicated server instead of a shared
> system, but I'm getting this set up for someone with no computer skills,
> and they need something like a shared, supported environment with something
> like cPanel for when I'm not around to maintain it.

The thing is, because you have the tarbals, you could install mailman on
your machine and use it to extract the list configs and the list members.
You could then pass the list config to the cPanel folks to import while
putting the archives at the right place. The members you could just add
once lists are up.
Anyway, I am sure you will hack it.

--
Best regards,