[Mailman-Users] Restoring manually backed-up archives into cPanel installation?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 15 18:04:04 EST 2019

On 1/15/19 7:44 AM, Brian Carpenter wrote:

> If the host is willing to move your archives then they can do the same for
> your lists. This is what you do:
>
> 1. Log into cPanel
>
> 2. Create the lists that you are migrating over.
>
> 3. Contact the host and ask them to overwrite those list directories that
> cPanel created with your back ups. It takes a few minutes to do that. Make
> sure they run /scripts/fixmailinglistperms on each list after they do that.

I may be wrong because Brian knows more about cPanel than I do, and I
don't know what /scripts/fixmailinglistperms does, but I see an issue
with the above.

Namely, if the backups don't come from cPanel, the list's _internal_name
in the backup won't have the _domain appendage that cPanel list's have
and if the new domain is not the old one, the list's web_page_url will
have the wrong domain name. Also, the list's host_name may be wrong, but
that can be fixed via the Mailman web UI, but without a correct
web_page_url, none of the web form submissions will work.