[Mailman-Users] Anti Spam to stop list attacks

Jim Ziobro list at ziobro.rochester.ny.us
Mon Jan 21 02:28:49 EST 2019

I assume you are referring to random postings vs. an adversary targeting
you specifically.

An internet-facing mail server has to have some anti-spam technology
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-spam_techniques#Confirmed_opt-in_for_mailing_lists>.
Email addresses out on public web pages will get hoovered up and added
to spam lists.  The server will soon be hit by botnets from around the
world.  By default Mailman lists the posting address of the mailing
list.  Expect spam!

If you are being hit by spam then you should stop it before your server
accepts the incoming mail.  Once mail is accepted on your system you
have lost half the battle. Either discard unwanted posts or risk back
scatter.  As you noted it takes work in Mailman to handle general spam.

May I suggest creating a web page with addresses to serve as a honeypot
on your server.  Then you know everything sent to those addresses are
junk.  I learned a lot by using that trick.

Ciao,
//Z\\
Jim Ziobro