[Mailman-Users] Br0ken Mailman - Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 01:44:01 EST 2019

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 02:21, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 1/29/19 3:34 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > I got an error this morning about some strange permission while run the
> > cron.
> >
> > Cron <list at lists> [ -x /usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests ] &&
> > /usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 120, in <module>
> >     main()
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 98, in main
> >     mlist = MailList.MailList(listname, lock=0)
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 133, in __init__
> >     self.Load()
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 693, in Load
> >     dict, e = self.__load(file)
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 656, in __load
> >     fp = open(dbfile)
> > IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> > '/usr/local/mailman/lists/skunkworks/config.pck'
> >
> > So I fumbled around trying to figure it out without success!
> > bin/check_perms -f did not help either.
>

> Was this a new list or one that was present during a prior successful
> cron/senddigests run?

It's an existing list.

> Could you access the list via the web UI?

After fixing the issues I had with dns.resolver, the list is alive and I
can do everything
via the web UI.
However, the cron errors still persist.

> What user runs the cron, i.e. the owner of the crontab or the listed
> user is a system crontab, and can that user access the config.pck file?
> Can that user successfully run cron/senddigests manually?

The contrab file is in /etc/cron.d/ and is owned by root:root like all the
files I see in there.

> If the above doesn't give clues, maybe apparmor is involved.

I need to figure out what apparmor is. Heading to Google :)

> Maybe it was a transient glitch.

It is not, because this morning I have seen permission problems with other
aspects of the cron.

> In any case, I wouldn't expect re-installing Mailman to correct a
> permissions problem if check_perms didn't find anything.

That is the strange part - check_perms -f isn't fixing it.

root at lists:/etc/cron.d#  /usr/local/mailman/bin/check_perms
No problems found

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,