[Mailman-Users] Questions About Uncaught Bounce Notifications

Thu Jul 18 06:30:53 EDT 2019

On 7/17/19 10:36 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 7/17/19 5:50 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
>
>> Here is a sample of one semi-regular bounce I get from a list I manage
>> (I haved X'ed out the personal information included in the bounce). I
>> suspect that one issue is that this is a bounce message, not a server
>> refusing (thus they are probably back-scattering), and the bounce
>> doesn't give the address that the message was sent to (though it is in
>> the Delivered-To: header of the message that bounced that I trimmed).
>>
>> Also, being a 'I think your a spammer' as opposed to 'That address isn't
>> valid' message says I am not sure one really wants to count it as a bounce.
>
> Yes, that is tricky, but assuming we do, I have some questions.

>> Subject: failure notice
>
> These are Mailman generated Message-IDs indicating the message is some
> kind of Mailman generated notice and not a list post. Are they all like
> that or are some of them list posts?

The user is subscribed to the digest, and that is what was seen as spam.
Digests of course have mailman generated Message-IDs.

>> Hi. This is the bounce program. I'm afraid I've been instructed to return
>> your message. It was refused by the recipient's junk mail controls.
>>
>> To reach XXXXXXXXXXX, please telephone +1 888 XXXXXXX.
>>
>> --- Below this line is a copy of the message.
>>
> I could recognize this in simplematch
> <https://gitlab.com/warsaw/flufl.bounce/blob/master/flufl/bounce/_detectors/simplematch.py>
> with a start regexp of
>
> ^.*This is the bounce program. I'm afraid I've been instructed
>
> and an address regexp of
>
> ^Delivered-To:\s*(?P<addr>[^\s@]+@[^\s@]+)\s*$')

One issue is that this is a shared instance of mailman (mailman is
installed on *.pairlist.net) so I can't get to any of the files to make
a change to try this.

--
Richard Damon