[Mailman-Users] IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied on config.pck in Fedora 30

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 24 15:28:30 EDT 2019

On 7/24/19 12:14 PM, Robert Kudyba wrote:

> This did work a few weeks ago not sure when it started perhaps when dnf updated June 30.
>
> And now qrunner is failing to start:
> Jul 24 14:36:50 2019 (14350) Qrunner RetryRunner reached maximum restart limit of 10, not restarting.
> Jul 24 14:36:50 2019 (14350) Master qrunner detected subprocess exit
> (pid: 14438, sig: None, sts: 1, class: IncomingRunner, slice: 1/1) [restarting]
> Jul 24 14:36:50 2019 (14350) Qrunner IncomingRunner reached maximum restart limit of 10, not restarting.

There should be messages in Mailman's error and qrunner logs about this,
but the qrunners should be running as user:group mailman:mailman so none
of the setgid stuff should affect that.

I don't think I can be of further help here. mailmanctl should be
ensuring that the qrunners are running as user:group mailman:mailman and
the setgid bits (if honored) should ensure that the CGIs and mail
delivery are all running as group mailman and the mailman group should
have permission to read (and where necessary, write) these files.

I do not know why this isn't working in your case. Perhaps you should
ask RedHat.

> Also you mentioned you didn’t know what this file was:
> cat /usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailman-update-cfg
> #!/usr/bin/python2
>
> # This script is needed, when SELinux is enabled:
> # mailman_mail_t context cannot write to the directory
> # /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman so when you change mm_cfg.py,
> # mailman cannot create the .pyc
> #
> # This script is called in the init script, which is run in unconfined_t
> # so the .pyc is created and the AVC denial is avoided. (bz#481446)
>
> import py_compile
>
> py_compile.compile("/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py")

So it is part of the RedHat package.