[Mailman-Users] List Serve Has Stopped Working

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 29 20:45:25 EDT 2019

Please see <https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Mailman%20is%20not%20Listserv>.

>  On July 5, I made some changes to my DNS settings to satisfy cPanel's Email Deliverability standards, and since then my List Serve no longer works.  I don't know if that was the cause, or if I have done something else to break it, and DNS records were just a coincidence.
>
> I now have my main domain of ChristianGays.com <http://christiangays.com/> and sub-domain of mail.christiangays.com <http://mail.christiangays.com/> complying with DKIM and SPF records.  All is good now from that aspect, but the List Serve still doesn't work.
>
> When I say it does not work, I can send and receive using my mary at christiangays.com <mailto:mary at christiangays.com> email address, but if I use any of my other email addresses, or if another member writes, the list serve does not forward to the group.
>
> The sent emails can be found in the Archives, but they don't come through to our inboxes.

So there seems to be some issue with outgoing mail delivery from Mailman
to external addresses. The mail reaches Mailman because it is archived.
Is mail from others delivered to mary at christiangays.com?

> Log Errors (which I don't understand) show:
>
> [29-Jul-2019 16:45:48 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; wp_mail_from has a deprecated constructor in /home/mary/public_html/mary-content/plugins/change-wp-mail-from-details/change-mail-from.php on line 105
> [29-Jul-2019 12:45:48 America/Toronto] PHP Deprecated:  Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/mary/public_html/mary-content/themes/generatepress_child/functions.php on line 249
> [29-Jul-2019 12:45:48 America/Toronto] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent in /home/mary/public_html/mary-content/plugins/simple-membership/classes/class.swpm-init-time-tasks.php on line 20

These PHP errors are irrelevant. They may have something to do with
Wordpress?? The logs you want to look at are the MTA (probably Exim in
cPanel) logs and Mailman's logs (in
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/logs in standard cPanel).

> I did not set this up.  I know nothing of Python or Mailman, so although I have read your FAQ's, I am really not qualified to implement the instructions.

Does this mean you've seen
<https://wiki.list.org/DOC/Mailman%20and%20CPanel> and
<https://wiki.list.org/DOC/4.78%20Troubleshooting-%20No%20mail%20going%20out%20to%20lists%20members>?

> I hired someone years ago to set this List Serve up for me, but now he is not available.  I have since hired two other people, one who specializes in Python to try to figure it out, and neither of them could find the problem.
>
> Since two coders have not been able to fix it, I doubt that giving me instructions of what to look for would help.
>
> I could hire someone else via Freelancer again, but believe it may just be more of a waste of time.  I would rather have someone who knows Mailman well, as I assume you all do.  I am willing to pay someone to look at the back end of my site to get this working again.  Is that possible?

My two rules are "I don't work for money." and "I don't touch your
server." and in any case, I'm going to be unavailable for even what
support I normally provide via this list for the next 6 weeks.

I hope someone else on this list can help you.

There's also <https://wiki.list.org/COM/Mailman%20consulting%20services>.