[Mailman-Users] What to do about SPF rejection?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Mon Jun 17 12:47:02 EDT 2019

In article <e328f9e0-40c9-53ec-2988-4e5ddc0ac80b at gmail.com> you write:
>Dear all,
>
>I today saw three bounces where the receiving mail server had said:
>
>host mail.gfbv.de[185.199.217.16] said: 550 external MTA
>    sending our header From:  XXXX <XXX at gfbv.de> (in reply to
>    end of DATA command)
>
>The SPF record for gfbv.de is
>
>gfbv.de.		86400	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 mx a:epicmail1.newsaktuell.net ~all"
>
>I am not sure, whether mailman 2 has any workaround for this like for
>the DMARC issue
>
>Can anyone spot, whether there is something wrong with the SPF record?
>Whose fault is it?

Theirs.  That message says they apparently have a policy of rejecting
any incoming mail with their domain on the From: line.  They can do
that if they want, but it means that none of their users can
participate in mailing lists.

I suppose you could further screw up your list and do DMARC rewrites
even for domains without DMARC policies, but I'd suggest contacting
whoever is subscribed there and encourage him or her to subscribe from
an address that isn't gratuitiously hostile to mailing lists.

Regards,