[Mailman-Users] iterative loop

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 19 12:21:42 EDT 2019

On 3/18/19 5:19 PM, Web Analysts via Mailman-Users wrote:
> Using mailman 2.1.9 on ubuntu 14.04 using mysql for aliases and mail
> accounts. Iy was working fine for a long time then something went awry. Now
> I've got an iterative loop and multiple email lists are generating
> 'Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender' messages. Those message then have the
> following email as an attachment:
>

> This is the mail system at host mail.domainname.tld.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to
> one or more recipients. It's attached below.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.
>
> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own
> text from the attached returned message.
>
>                    The mail system
>
> <|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman@ hostname.domainname.tld >: unknown user:
>     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman"

It looks like the MTA is postfix and something is wrong with the aliases
for Mailman. There should be aliases for each list that look like

> LISTNAME:             "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-admin:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-bounces:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-confirm:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-join:        "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-leave:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-owner:       "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-request:     "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-subscribe:   "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe LISTNAME"
> LISTNAME-unsubscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe LISTNAME"

I'm only guessing here, but it looks like you have the correct aliases,
but somehow they are being processed by a Postfix delivery agent that
doesn't understand delivery via pipe to command.

What are your actual mail.log entries corresponding to these bounces?

This is really a Postfix issue (assuming the Mailman aliases are
correct), but to be of further help, we'd need to see the actual Postfix
mail.log entry for the bounce and the output of 'postconf -n' to start.

Note: you say multiple email lists. If that means some but not all, it
probably is an issue with the aliases themselves.