[Mailman-Users] Delivery errors and spam grading

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Wed Mar 20 23:32:19 EDT 2019

Jim Dory writes:
 > On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 4:39 AM Stephen J. Turnbull <
 > turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

 > > (You probably should also disable the Digestable option in
 > > [Digest options]

When I wrote this, I was thinking of a new list, in the context of
personalization as a hack to limit the number of recipients per
session.  The point was to prevent users from setting their
subscriptions to digest.  As far as I know, there is no
personalization of digest messages, so opting for digest would
(theoretically) defeat personalization used to force one message per
session operation.  I don't know of any reason why digests would
increase the probablity of either a bounce or being considered spam in
and of themselves.

 > [Would disabling digestable] prevent issues like this?

As others mentioned, it won't affect those specific issues.  Both
relate to the content of the post, not the rate or mode of multiple
deliveries to the same host.  Of course if the digest contains other
posts, the recipients lose those too, but that's a choice we prefer to
leave up to the subscriber herself.

 > if I were to disable it now, what happens to those members who are
 > using that option? I assume they just start automatically receiving
 > non-digest messages, but figured I should ask.

That's a decision for the administrator.  Our rationale for defaulting
to no mail in this case is that people who select digest have
explicitly opted for a small number of messages, and would likely be
more annoyed by an unexpectedly large number of messages than by
missing messages (which they can read in the archives in most cases).
YMMV on that judgment -- of course, I suppose many would expect
automatic switching to non-digest mode as you did -- but that's our
rationale for a default to non-delivery.