[Mailman-Users] Rebuild Archives directory structure

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 6 11:56:12 EDT 2019

On 5/6/19 6:08 AM, Valentin Schwarze via Mailman-Users wrote:
> Hello,
> I wanted to free some server disc space, therefore I wanted to delete my mailman archives. Due to a mistake, I accidently deleted the whole /private and /public directorys. Now, when I want to access my lists through the online admin backend, I get an error.
> Is there any way to rebuild (or reinstall) the archive directory structure? The only documents I found only were about the rebuilding the archive content, but not the directory and file structure itself.
> Any help would be appriciated.

You need to create the public/ directory with mode drwxrwsr-x (2775) and
the private/ directory with mode drwxrws--x (2771) and group equal
Mailman's group.

The public/ directory can be empty. The private/ directory should
contain two sub-directories per list with names xxx and xxx.mbox where
xxx is the list name and with mode mode drwxrwsr-x (2775), and the
private/xxx/ directories should contain an index.html file with content
similar to

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <HTML>
  <HEAD>
     <title>The xxx Archives</title>
     <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,follow">
  </HEAD>
  <BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff">
     <h1>The xxx Archives </h1>
      No messages have been posted to this list yet, so the archives are
      currently empty.  You can get <a
href="https://example.com/mailman/listinfo/xxx">more information
      about this list</a>.
  </BODY>