[Mailman-Users] Mailman Python Apache CGI issue

jimwest at attglobal.net jimwest at attglobal.net
Sun Nov 3 14:08:33 EST 2019

I am new to Mailman, and have just installed Mailman 2.1.12-26 on a
Centos 6.5 server.

My httpd version is 2.2.15   My python version is python-2.6.6-51.

Everything appears to be working fine, except when a new subscriber
confirms there subscription request.

The email from Mailman gives the user the option of confirming their
subscription by going to the confirm web page.

Confirming the subscription using the email method works fine, but the
web page confirmation is having problems.

For a user named "dot" joining the Skipper group, the URL is:

http://<my-web-site>/mailman/confirm/skipper/b36adbfa6d4b9af927197b75006444262696b9a6  <http://kjm.PositionDatabase.com/mailman/confirm/skipper/b36adbfa6d4b9af927197b75006444262696b9a6>

The string "b36adbfa6d4b9af927197b75006444262696b9a6"  <http://kjm.PositionDatabase.com/mailman/confirm/skipper/b36adbfa6d4b9af927197b75006444262696b9a6>  is the confirmation "cookie".

After the user clicks to subscribe to the group on the Confirm Subscription web page,
the confirm.py script checks to see if the cookie was entered in the URL:

     # Get the form data to see if this is a second-step confirmation
     cgidata = cgi.FieldStorage(keep_blank_values=1)
     cookie = cgidata.getvalue('cookie')
     if cookie == '':
         ask_for_cookie(mlist, doc, _('Confirmation string was empty.'))
         return

In my installation, the cdigdata.getvalue is not returning the cookie entered in the URL, so
the "Enter Confirmation Cookie" web page is called ... even though the cookie was included in the URL.

If the user enters the "cookie" again in the "Confirmation String" window, the user clicking "submit" does nothing.

It appears that I have a configuration problem in my Apache or Python interface.

I am not seeing any errors in /var/log/mailman/error log.

My /etc/httpd/conf.d/mailman.conf file is not generating any errors in /etc/httpd/error_log, and
The redirect for "/mailman" appears to be working, since my mailman url is working.

 From the confirm.py script, it appears the "cookie" should have been obtained from the URL, and there
should have been no need to call the "Enter Confirmation Cookie" to have the user enter the cookie again...
and as luck would have it, the Enter Confirmation Cookie web page is also not working.

This is definitely a new user configuration problem, and I would appreciate any suggestions for how to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Jim West
Email: jimwest at attglobal.net