[Mailman-Users] zero-length config.pck file

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Fri Oct 18 18:46:47 EDT 2019

mailman-2.1.29_6, FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE-p10

After an unscheduled power cut by our hosting provider, one of the
mailing lists hosted on this server came back up with a config.pck file
containing 0 bytes. The file's timestamp corresponded to the time of the
power loss.

As a result, bin commands such as 'list_lists' would return a corrupt
database error, and overnight cron jobs wouldn't run. This was only for
one list; other lists on the same server were OK.

I've restored the config.pck file from a backup and things seem to be OK
now.

Just checking, though:

1. Have others encountered config.pck corruption from power loss?

2. (putting on my tinfoil paranoid hat) Is there any chance the file
corruption occurred due to an intrusion attempt, and not the power loss?

Thanks!

dn