[Mailman-Users] Do sender filters apply to subscription requests?

Jim Ziobro list at ziobro.rochester.ny.us
Thu Sep 19 00:57:24 EDT 2019

On 9/17/2019 1:37 PM, Kevin Bowen wrote:
> Hello,
> One of my instance's lists is apparently getting spammed with subscription
> requests from addresses outside my org. In sender filters, for
> reject_these_nonmembers I put ^(?!.*(example)\.com$) [actual domain
> redacted], but the requests still get through to the moderation queue. Do
> the sender filters apply only to posts, not to subscription requests? If
> so, is there any way to automatically reject subscription requests based on
> a regex?

Use milter-regex. <https://linux.die.net/man/8/milter-regex> Very
flexible.  Chances are you want to keep these guys out of more than your
request address but milter-regex could be fine tuned for one specific
address or pattern of addresses.  Like:

|# filter requests from GMAIL
reject "Your requests offend me."||
||envrcpt /-request at lists.ziobro.info/||
||and||
||envfrom /@gmail.com/|

The offending message will never even get on your machine.  In general
you want to filter in the SMTP stream before an undesireable message
gets on to your machine.  Once a message gets put into Mailman there is
the potential of backscatter.

Ciao,

//Z\\