[Mailman-Users] Totally disable list subscriptions?

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Wed Sep 25 10:04:18 EDT 2019

Hi,

For years I ran a Mailman list on my own server, until it obviously
became too much of a load for certain ISPs to think I was sending
legitimate Email. The final straw was when Microsoft blacklisted my IP
from sending to all of their Email services (Hotmail, live.com, Outlook,
etc.). I decided to move that heavy traffic list to groups.io. Still, I
wanted there to be a placeholder at the list's old URL that would tell
people the list has moved, and where to find it. For this reason, I
created a new, empty, dummy list with the old list's name, and set
subscriptions to require moderator approval. I have a Milter set up to
block all inbound mail to the list's old addresses with a 551 failure
message giving the URL of the new list. However, from time to time
someone will subscribe via the web, so I still need to reject their
subscriptions and point them to the new location. Is there any way in
Mailman to outright disable any and all subscription attempts for a
specific list?

Thanks,

Jayson