[Mailman-Users] Mailman on TMDHosting.com

Tim H timhfl at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 12:57:21 EST 2020

  Top posting my reply, hope this is OK.  Oddly, my host included a Terminal window! I have never seen that before. Attached are screen shots of some ls -l results.
Mark are these normal for a mailman installation?
I think my host does not want to support Mailman. Maybe new accounts aren't getting it in cPanel but the program is still on my server to support legacy accounts that are still using it.
And yes, I replied to Brian, with screen shots.
Thanks!
Tim
    On Friday, January 31, 2020, 07:29:24 PM EST, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

 On 1/31/20 2:51 PM, Tim H wrote:
> On Friday, January 31, 2020, 12:43:39 PM EST, Mark Sapiro
> <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/30/20 9:03 PM, Tim H via Mailman-Users wrote:
>  >  I just moved a cluster of domains to TMDHosting.com
>  > I had two Mailman mailing lists on the old service.  I made a gziped
> tarball of the entire account using the usual tool. Staff at TMD brought
> it over and in minutes all my files were in place.
>  > But. They do not have Mailman in cPanel.
>

> As far as I know, every cPanel installation has Mailman 2.1.
>
> The issue may be that they just dropped your files into somewhere in
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman. You can't just do that. cPanel's
> Mailman is different enough that the config.pck files aren't directly
> compatible and the file names and or locations maybe different to.
>
> See <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030641>.
>
> I searched my entire file set for "mailman" and came up empty.

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman is in the server's file system, but
it is not somethin that users on a shared cPanel host have access to.

> I thought all cPanel installations came with Mailman.  Maybe something
> happened and it isn't the case since some later version.

I doubt it, although I suppose it's possible that the host disabled it.
But then, the fact that cPanel thinks your list address exist seems to
say your list is at least partially there.

This is an issue that your hosting provider needs to resolve, but if
they are like a lot of cPanel hosts, Mailman is only there because it
comes with cPanel and they aren't interested in supporting it.

Brian is an exception. See his post at
<https://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2020-January/084961.html>
and follow up with him.

--
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan