[Mailman-Users] Server Migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 12 12:51:35 EST 2020

On 2/12/20 9:06 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> We finally got the networking folks to cooperate so DNS is the way we
> will go. I don't know if it makes any difference but the version was a
> typo, we are at 2.0.x.

If you really mean your current Mailman is 2.0.x, trying to import to MM
3 with `mailman import21` will likely result in a mess. See the
UPGRADING FROM 2.0.x to 2.1 section at
<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/UPGRADING>

> Please see embedded comments.
>
>> Import the Mailman 2.1 config.pck with `mailman import21`
> Easy enough assuming I copy config.pck to the new server to run the command.

Yes.

>> Import the Mailman 2.1 archives/private/xxx.mbox/zzz.mbox mailbox with
>> the Django Admin hyperkitty_import command.
> I'm not familiar with that. I am guessing, similar to config.pck, I copy
> that directory to the new server then run that command on that
> directory. I'll have to install Django.

The Mailman 2.1 archives/private/xxx.mbox/zzz.mbox mailbox is a file,
not a directory. It is the cumulative mailbox containing all the 'zzz'
list's archived messages.

A complete Mailman 3 installation will include Postorius and HyperKitty
and Django to support them. Postorius is the web management UI for
Mailman. HyperKitty is the archiver. If you don't have that installed,
there's nothing to import the archives to.