[Mailman-Users] UTF-8 From and Reply-to addresses not getting properly processed.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 16 16:33:23 EST 2020

On 2/16/20 1:10 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

> One question, Mark. Are the spam filter rules ("header_filter_rules")
> applied _before_ or _after_ a message with a uuencoded (base64) From
> address is decoded?

As I said before, header_filter_rules are matched against the decoded
headers.

> If _before_ (matching what we see in on the Administrative Requests
> page), the it should be sufficient to discard any message with a From
> header staring with "=?utf-8".

You won't see that. Further, there may be legitimate  From: headers with
a utf-8 encoded fragment if, e.g., the From: display name is non-ascii.

Also note that your problem messages are non-compliant. RFC 2047,
section 5(3) is clear

+ An 'encoded-word' MUST NOT appear in any portion of an 'addr-spec'.

<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2047.html#section-5>

Your real issue here is whatever header_filter_rule with hold action
above the discard rule is matching. That is what is preventing
generic_nonmember_action from discarding the message.