[Mailman-Users] Archives Permission Denied

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 25 17:11:29 EST 2020

On 2/25/20 10:25 AM, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> So shouldn't 'check_perms -f' have fixed that?

check_perms is not perfect. See below for more.

> This is a server used strictly for mailman. There are only 2 users with
> access so I am not worried about the caveat in that article. It looks
> like you are giving me options and I am not sure what to do now?

Either way works, but in your case, I would ensure
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private is group mailman and mode is 2771.
With this setting, check_perms will say

> Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
>          This could allow other users on your system to read private archives.
>          If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
>          installation manual on how to fix this.

which you can ignore. The reason I suggest this is so you don't need to
be concerned about the owner of /var/lib/mailman/archives/private