[Mailman-Users] The last release from the GNU Mailman project (was: Handling Munged From Addresses)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 27 14:44:33 EST 2020

On 2/27/20 11:24 AM, Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users wrote:

> Who decides that there will be no more releases of MM2 from the GNU
> Mailman project?

I do. I am the release manager and the only one making releases so I get
to decide.

> I've got to be honest, Mailman 3 still looks unstable to me.  I get that
> it's working on python.org where there are people working on it day
> after day, but surely you realize there are a ton of Mailman2 sites that
> don't have the time to develop and maintain their own install day after
> day.  Look at the MM3 list, there are people who do nothing but offer
> full time Mailman hosting and they have problem after problem.  And then
> there's the whole "I don't need a CMS for a MLM" argument.  I personally
> believe there's a lot more life left in MM2 than a few people want to
> admit.

That's all well and good, but MM 2.1 is stable product that works. Why
does it need added/changed features at this point?

> OK, there's the Python2 EOL issue, but python2 isn't disappearing
> overnight, certainly not this month or next (as you say the case should
> be with MM2).

Where do you get the idea that I said MM 2 will be disappearing? I never
said that. I just said there will be no further releases after 2.1.30.

This list will not go away, and I will not stop reading/responding until
the need for that goes away assuming I live that long

> I guess I'm just still a bit shocked to see you rush to abandon
> something so popular and established.

I'm not rushing to abandon anything. I'm just saying don't expect
Mailman 2.1.31 from the GNU Mailman project.

> Personally, I'd like to see the GNU Mailman project have a formal
> Mailman 2.3 release that supports Python3, I feel that there would be a
> lot of support for that.

If you want to port Mailman 2 to Python 3, you are welcome to do it. I
have said before that a much better use of time and resources would be
the implementation of a light weight, non-Django web UI for Mailman 3,
but I don't see anyone raising a hand to do either.