[Mailman-Users] how to disable main mailman-request and mailman list without stopping mailman functionality

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jan 27 09:52:27 EST 2020

On 1/26/20 9:03 AM, Jelle de Jong wrote:

> PS. I had mailman not advertised by default but some Debian update a
> while back seem to have made it advertised. I disabled the advertising
> of the list but the spam keeps coming. Maybe disable advertising by
> default for the mailman default list?

First, advertised or not, it is well known that every Mailman 2.1
installation has a site list, usually called mailman. Also the
mailman at example.com address is exposed on both the listinfo and admin
overview pages in the web UI.

> What are the recommended steps?

It depends on how your MTA deliveres to Mailman. If it uses aliases, you
can change the mailman-request alias in mailman's aliases, but if
Mailman automatically generates these, that may get undone. A better
approach is to put an alias for the mailman-request and maybe other
mailman- addresses in an alias file that is processed before Mailman's
aliases or delivery. You can use these to send the mail to /dev/null or
to some user or mailbox if you want to see the mail.