[Mailman-Users] send_reminders frequency

Chip Davis chip at aresti.com
Wed Jan 29 19:33:20 EST 2020

I administer around a dozen (mostly v2.1) Mailman lists, but they are
all on shared servers running cPanel or some equivalent "we won't let
you get your hands dirty" interface.  Not by my choice, and with
wildly varying support from the server vendors.

I often see questions about how to do something or another that I
would dearly love to do, only to find that the simple, straightforward
procedure recommended is beyond my server credentials.  It would be
very helpful to me if those answers acknowledged that:

  * this can't be done on a shared server implementation, don't bother
    trying
  * this can also be done on a shared server, and here's how (or at
    least, the magic words to ask your vendor)

For example, the recent answer about "cloning" lists (impossible
unless you have full access to the server's filesystem, then trivially
easy) was disappointing because I have multiple lists that need to
stay in-synch.  So I wrote a Rexx program that screen-scrapes the
Mailman configuration screens and generates a checklist of each
extracted setting, input field, textarea, etc. for use when cloning a
new list.  It's a kludge compared to simply copying a couple of files
into a new directory, but it works for those of us out here in the
cheap seats.

Thanks,

-Chip-