[Mailman3-dev] Mailman Design

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Apr 5 10:22:57 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 16:57, Aaron Schaap wrote:
> I'm not quite sure how to start this up but I'd like to discuss the idea of
> enhancing the design of Mailman.

By "design" do you mean the web u/i for Mailman?  If so, +1 and yep,
this is the place to be.

> Is there a group of people currently working on this? If not, I'd like to
> start one and do a little brainstorming on how to make Mailman a little
> better.
>
> Right now I'm just playing around with changing Mailman to be XHTML and CSS
> compliant within the "Edit HTML options" placed within the administrator's
> section. This is more for me to get familiar with the program.

We need to rethink how (or even if) the u/i will be editable through the
web.  There are all kinds of security and xss issues that need to be
addressed if we allow this.  I tend to think it fails the 80/20 rule --
it makes the system more complex for a feature that few use.

OTOH, I'm a strong +1 on having a better u/i for MM3, and I think modern
developments like XHTML, CSS, and (modest and optional) JavaScript are
on the table.  We definitely want to do as much of the web u/i in a
templating language as possible.  I'm currently favoring Zope3's page
template implementation because it supports i18n.

It would be great if you'd like to help work on this aspect of MM3.

-Barry