[Mailman3-dev] Re: [RETRANSMIT] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Debate about Mailman on BytesForAll

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Aug 27 00:11:28 CEST 2004

(Removing mailman-developers)

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 17:02, Brad Knowles wrote:

> >  Your best defense is to not use SQLite for files on a network filesystem."
>
> 	Fair enough.  Are we looking for something where use on a network
> filesystem is an issue?

My answer to that would be, if you want distributed operation for MM3,
use a client/server database like MySQL or PostgreSQL.  As far as the
qrunners go, it shouldn't matter because of the way the hash space
algorithm is designed.

> 	Or do we care more about other issues, such as performance (where
> I think BerkeleyDB would probably win), or interface methods/language
> (where SQL might be preferred)?

As I mentioned in my other email, ease of installation, use, and
administration is very high on my list.  I don't want performance to go
through the toilet, but the default configuration doesn't have to be
able to handle AOL-sized traffic. :)

-Barry