[Mailman3-dev] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Debate about Mailman on BytesForAll

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 12:10:43 CEST 2004

On 26 Aug 2004, at 21:16, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> (Redirecting to Mailman3 list)
>
> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 16:13, Kevin McCann wrote:
>
>> Might not make sense? Or might make sense?
>
> Might make sense to switch from BerkeleyDB to SQLite as the default
> embedded database for Mailman 3 (which BTW, I'm still happy to take
> primary responsibility for).
>
>> I have played with SQLite a
>> bit but not extensively, so I'm not aware of any major drawbacks. I do
>> recall at the sprint lunch that SQLite was suggested by that fellow
>> who
>> was doing the email sprinting (can't remember his name, but he seemd
>> be a sharp cookie). SQLite, if it's solid, is attractive to me because
>> it's built into PHP 5. Thinking down the road, it starts to look
>> pretty
>> good.
>
> The biggest question in my mind is how SQLite handles concurrency
> issues.  I know that it has some support for concurrency, through
> automatic locking and such, but I haven't looked into the details.
> This
> will be a requirement for MM3 because we'll have multiple processes
> reading and writing to the database all the time (web requests,
> qrunners, cron, command line, nntp, imap, etc., etc.).
>
> -Barry

I have not been involved in the debate what the database this thread is
referring to is being used for, but, from what has been said above,
might not Postgresql be a sound choice. Robust, proper transaction
handling/concurrency, can run from NFS mounted or local storage, proper
client/server operation, reasonable security. It may not be the easiest
to install but ...

Another post to this list asked why NFS mounting of the database
storage matters. Explanation for me: we have a large, high reliabilty,
high availabilty,  etc etc file server accessible over Gigabit via an
Extreme switch; we have an effective backup strategy for the file
systems which that file server publishes via NFS. I currently use NFS
storage with MM 2.1.x  and given a catastrophic hardware failure in my
mailing list server I can switch to a backup server and have full
service back within minutes without data loss. We are putting a large
value of e-trading messages through the mailing list server each week
and some of that incoming traffic has strict time limits on when
to buy into the admin problems of being compelled to run a database out
of storage local to my mail list server? Which is why BerkeleyDB does
not look like the right solution for me. For the same reason I also
cannot use Subversion for its purposes, even though I would rather like
to.

Just a thought.