[Mailman3-dev] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Debate about Mailman on BytesForAll

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Aug 27 12:24:23 CEST 2004

At 11:10 AM +0100 2004-08-27, Richard Barrett wrote:

>  Another post to this list asked why NFS mounting of the database
>  storage matters. Explanation for me: we have a large, high reliabilty,
>  high availabilty,  etc etc file server accessible over Gigabit via an
>  Extreme switch; we have an effective backup strategy for the file
>  systems which that file server publishes via NFS.

	Not particularly unusual for large NFS server installations I've seen.

>                                                     I currently use
>  NFS storage with MM 2.1.x

	And this works today?  You don't have file locking problems, etc...?

>                            and given a catastrophic hardware failure
>  in my mailing list server I can switch to a backup server and have
>  full service back within minutes without data loss.

	Fair enough.  I wasn't aware that anyone was doing this sort of
stuff today with NFS, and that this worked without all the
traditional file locking problems, etc....

	Certainly, I'd agree that we should support PostgreSQL and
MySQL/MaxSQL, BerkeleyDB, etc... as alternative database methods that
should be included with the base package.

	Now, whether one of them should be the primary database method,
I'm not quite ready to agree to that, at least not yet.  I tend to
place pretty high value on the "Keep It Simple" style of solution, at
least as far as the default stuff is concerned.

	If SQLite is easy to install, gives us decent performance,
doesn't make it too difficult to replace with alternative database
solutions, and satisfies our other criteria, then I'm all for that.
In that case, I'd rather we spent more time providing hooks that
would allow us to swap out the database back-end for something
faster/more robust, as well as doing things like fixing the
pipermail/archiving tool, archive searching tool(s), etc....

	Out of curiosity, can someone remind me where the current mm3
"wish list" is?  Are there mm3 specification and/or design documents
yet?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755