[Mailman3-dev] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Debate about Mailman on BytesForAll

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Aug 28 02:32:14 CEST 2004

At 3:46 PM +0100 2004-08-27, Richard Barrett wrote:

>  I said "switch to a backup server". Hot server, warm standby. When
>  primary fails, then and only then, does the standby takes over so
>  there is no contention in normal operation.

	Speaking only for myself, even with just one machine on NFS, I've
seen serious locking problems (among other things), just in terms of
internal contention with itself and not having to do with any other
machines trying to access the same data at the same time.

	NFS is fine for certain types of operations, but anything
requiring real-time or near real-time access where multiple processes
(either on the same machine or on different machines) may be trying
to access the same data, is a real area of serious heartburn.

	Spools and queues just don't work well on NFS, although if you
use various hashing techniques and the semi-atomic file creation
trick, you can kinda-semi-sorta work around the worst of these
issues, most of the time.  Of course, there is a significant
performance hit that you take for going this route.

	All IMO, of course.

>  My concern is getting a heavy duty solution which will work with a
>  database of my choice, i.e. one I have learned to love, trust and
>  manage, which I can nominate at install time.

	Agreed.

>  I am all for that, so that I can stop extending and maintaining my
>  patches to integrate htdig and MHonArc with MM 2.1.x for these
>  latter purposes.

	Understood.  You've done a great deal of service to the community
through your various patches, and your efforts are strongly
appreciated!

	That said, I can certainly understand why you'd like to stop
maintaining them.  I've got a few programs myself that I am
officially responsible for, but which I'd really kinda rather they
come to a quick and violent death so that I didn't have to look at
them or think about them any more.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755