[Mailman3-dev] Suggested Features

Vince Sabio mm3 at vsabio.com
Sun Mar 14 23:54:58 EST 2004

Hi folks,

I am currently using Lyris List Manager on an Ultra I running Solaris
8. The hosting site is pretty large -- we have about 50 mailing
lists, with a dozen of them numbering at 1000 or more subscribers. I
have 15 "Listmoms" who help manage the lists, including moderation
approval/rejection of posts.

Not surprisingly, MLM features are important to us. I'm considering a
move to Mailman on FreeBSD, but it is difficult to tell if M2 has
certain specific features that have become part of our day-to-day
list management in Lyris. Now, I'm not expecting anyone to design an
MLM around the features that we're looking for ... but since you're
soliciting input for M3, I figure it can't hurt. So, with that in
mind, the features in question are (see below before replying to
these):

* "Semi-moderated" mailing lists (i.e., subscribers are moderated for
"N" posts when they subscribe, and "graduate" to unmoderated status
after N _approved_ posts)

* "Spot" moderation (i.e., the ability to [re-]moderate an individual
for "N" posts, or to permanently moderate him, at the moderator's
discretion). It is VERY IMPORTANT that moderation be persistent --
i.e., if someone figures out he's been permanently moderated, he
can't unsubscribe and resubscribe and thus go back to being moderated
for only "N" posts. (Upon unsub/resub, the implementation should set
his moderation for the higher of the default list moderation count
and his previous moderation setting.)

* Moderation via e-mail -- both approve/reject (important) and
ability to set/change a user's moderation state (less important).

* Ability to create "filters" (preferably via the web UI) that can
act based on the content of incoming messages, and return a
customized message to the subscriber -- e.g., if a message contains
the word "dingleberries" (insert your favorite word there), it can
reject the post and send the poster a customized document, with a
copy of the post, including headers, attached at the bottom (in this
case, the "customized document" would state that, e.g., the post was
being returned because it contained profanity).

   - A modification to this feature is the ability to send messages to
the moderation queue based on their content. That is, a message that
would otherwise post to the list would instead be submitted for
moderation if its content matches a specific filter. This particular
feature is not in our version of Lyris (I do not know if it is in
later versions).

* Ability to strip certain headers, such as "Precedence:",
"Priority:", and the like.

* Ability to add custom headers, both static headers (same for all
subscribers) and mail-merged headers (e.g., "X-Message-To:
<address>", with the subscriber's address in the header).

* Ability for subscribers set NOMAIL mode for a specific length of
time (and/or until a specific date), at which time their previous
delivery mode will be restored. (This is useful when going on
vacation; no need to remember to set their delivery mode back to
MAIL, DIGEST, etc.)

* Ability to ban certain users from subscribing to mailing lists --
both on a per-list basis and on a site-wide basis.

* Ability to ban certain subscribers from posting to mailing lists
(i.e., from ever even entering the moderation queue). (This feature
isn't terribly important, since we can pretty well handle this in
moderation.)

That's a start. Now, I know that the feature list in M2 includes such
things as "New moderation and privacy controls," "emergency
moderation," "Majordomo-style e-mail commands," "regex-based topic
filtering," etc., but I'm not sure if those features translate into
the specifics that I mentioned above. Since we use these features on
a daily (or nearly daily) basis, I wanted to be explicit about the
feature set we're looking for. Again, I'm not expecting anyone to
design an M3 around our requirements, but I igured it couldn't hurt
to state them, and might stimulate some interesting discussion. :-)

Questions:

* Is the Welcome message customizable? If not, it would be necessary
for us to be able to customize it.

* Can users request a copy of the customized Welcome message via
e-mail? (I know they can get a "help" message via e-mail.)

* The "Urgent" message feature in M2 is nice -- but can use of it be
limited to just list owners/moderators?

* Is it possible to REQUIRE/FORCE all e-mail addresses to be
concealed? That is, not even give the users the option?

Please feel free to ask for clarification on any of these points.
There are probably more features that we'd be interested in, but I
didn't want to wear out my welcome on the first message (figured I'd
wait until the third or fourth message for that ;-).

Vince Sabio                                            mm3 at vsabio.com