[Mailman3-dev] Flexible data storage

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 15 16:24:19 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 13:26, Kevin McCann wrote:
> I am going down to the sprint this weekend with one main mission:  to
> see if I can influence the design and development such that Mailman 3
> will support SQL database data storage - as a choice - for the 3 main
> data sources:
>
> - list config
> - member information
> - message archives

I actually think there may be four data sources.  I've been thinking
that we may want to separate out member information and what might be
called authentication information.  Specifically the latter is "username
and password", where for our purposes, username is probably email
address (but this may not be evident in the interface).

The reason for this is that list member information will be fairly
application specific, i.e. foo at example.com has a bounce score of 3.0 and
gets digests.  I can envision a site wanting to separate these two
sources of data, such that username:password authentication comes out of
their corporate LDAP database, while they're perfectly happy to let
Mailman manage the application specific data.

-Barry